How to Obtain a Legal Separation Agreement in Alberta
Obtain your Separation Agreement the friendly and affordable way! Please check out our topics below or scroll through this web page for all of your answers.
How can we help you?
Working together minimizes the costs associated with drafting a legal separation agreement.
We draft legal separation agreements for couples who are willing to work together. Our goal is to help you:
- obtain an inexpensive and friendly legal separation agreement;
- reduce the burden of usual legal practices that are adversarial, complicated and costly; and
- still provide you with the benefit of receiving legal advice from your lawyer.
General Procedures on How to Obtain a Legal Separation Agreement
Here are the general procedures we typically follow:
- We interview you by telephone.
- We discuss what you and your spouse agree to concerning:
- division of property, assets, debts;
- spousal support; and
- the custody, access and support of children.
- We book an appointment with you and your spouse.
- Most initial appointments last 2 to 2.5 hours.
- We will email you a list of documents to bring to the appointment.
- We create the first draft of your legal separation agreement before your first appointment.
- During the first appointment, we go through the agreement from beginning to end and edit it.
- You leave the meeting with a revised legal separation agreement.
Before You Go to Your Lawyer
- We recommend that you review the agreement again after the initial appointment because it is hard to focus on the fine details in a meeting setting. Further, issues may have been brought up during the appointment that you have not yet have had a lot of time to reflect upon. Make note of changes that you’d like to see made to the agreement.
- Sometimes you’ll need to review the agreement with the banker, for example, to ensure that the parties qualify for refinancing.
- For couples with business interests or complex financial situations, they may need to consult with their financial advisor on tax implications.
- We then revise the Separation Agreement based upon changes you want, taking into account your personal wishes and information received from the banker or financial advisor, if relevant in your particular case.
- You and your spouse then review and sign the legal separation agreement with your lawyers.
- We have a list of lawyers we can refer or you can find your own lawyer.
Review and Signing with Lawyers
- If upon the advice of your lawyers you wish to make further changes, we make them at no extra cost. However, it will mean an additional trip to your lawyer(s).
- Lawyer fees are in addition to our drafting fees. Lawyers will charge for every visit.
- The goal is to minimize the back and forth between lawyers and your legal fees.
- Many of our clients only need to go to their lawyers once. Very few cases become contested.
- If applicable, land transfer(s) and a divorce application are coordinated at the same time.
Can I Use Your Legal Separation Agreement Services?
We can help with your Legal Separation Agreement if:
- The parties reside in Alberta or the parties were living in Alberta at the time of separation (and the property is predominately situated in Alberta).
- The parties are cooperative and willing to work together in the drafting of a legal separation agreement.
- There are no trust issues and the parties are willing to provide full disclosure.
- The parties will be taking the legal separation agreement to their lawyers for review, advice and signing.
- There are no complex issues; for example, those involving disclosure, trusts and business valuation.
Can we still use your services if we are not in full agreement?
Yes, you can still use our services if you are not in full agreement. But, it is essential that you both are willing to work together to reach an agreement. Often, couples can not agree simply because they have not completed a proper spreadsheet showing the division of property, assets and debts. Once presented, it is interesting how this clarity enables the parties to reach an agreement. Most couples, if they are willing to work together, often reach an amicable agreement without having to resort to filing a court application.
Our Qualifications to Help You
We are not lawyers, we do not give legal advice, nor do we mediate complex issues. But, we can still help in many situations. Deborah Ward, owner of the Canadian Legal Resource Centre Inc., has personally drafted over 1,000 Separation Agreements, each of which has been audited by two different lawyers. As a result, Deborah has a great deal of insight and experience with the drafting of high-quality separation agreements.
We’ve learned what lawyers like and don’t like and from time to time lawyers will provide new wording to different sections of the agreement. This ensures that our templates remain current and that we have many templates to access paragraphs that relate to unique situations. Though we cannot give legal advice, you will benefit from our substantial experience.
We ensure that you maximize the quality of your time and investment with your lawyer by helping you summarize the facts surrounding your situation for quick and easy review.
Fees and Disbursements
Uncontested Separation Agreement
- No Children: $695 + gst (+ lawyer advice/signing fees)
- With Children: $895 + gst (+ lawyer advice/signing fees)
NOTE: If there is spousal support, add $100 to our fee. For parties with complex situations or substantial assets, additional fees usually ranging from $100 to $500 may apply. (ie. You have a 10-page parenting plan, 14 rental properties with mortgages, multiple businesses, etc.).
- $195 + plus land title fees which vary, typically between $125 and $150, depending on value of property + gst
To learn more about Uncontested Divorces select “Uncontested Divorces”.
We are here to answer your questions! Click the button to view our contact information.
Free Consultation 1-800-320-2477 (Calgary: 403-229-2774)